Thursday, February 16, 2012

911 Memorial

On February 1, I went to the 911 Memorial at the World Trade Center.  I obtained a Visitor's Pass at http://www.911memorial.org/visitor-passes  in mid-January.  Friends who had visited gave me the impression that it would be hard to get passes, but that wasn't the case.  Thankfully, the weather was rather mild for New York.

After going through screening, we followed a long path to the entry of the Memorial which consists of a large open park-like area with two very large pools with constantly running water forming waterfalls within the pools.  Around each pool, the names of everyone we lost on September 11, 2001 and, of those lost in the attack of February 26, 1993, were etched into the stone wall.  The names weren't in alphabetic order, so there are kiosks available to locate the name of someone you knew.

I read in Wikipedia that the design was named "Reflecting Absence."  I certainly felt that absence.

After leaving, on the way to the subway, a self-appointed ambassador engaged us in conversation.  He asked me how many buildings had been on the World Trade Center site.  I promptly said, "Seven."  Then, he related how a teacher with a group of school-age children didn't know that fact.  That is why I recommend visiting the 911 Memorial when you are in New York City to perhaps get a sense of the enormity of September 11, 2001 and pray for the families and friends of those killed on that day.

Please feel free to share a comment

Check out my photos
 

No comments:

Post a Comment