Saturday, October 27, 2012

Birds

After my climb at Mt. Beacon in New York, I decided I needed to practice climbing hills here in San Diego.  The seaside town next to my home has just those type of hills, so I walked to Ocean Beach, which I consider to be an eclectic community and worth a visit.  It has residential streets that run East from the beach through the business area to the top of a ridge and continue down into Point Loma.  On the way, along West Point Loma Boulevard towards the Famosa Slough, I noticed a Snowy Egret up in a tree one block short of the Slough (bird refuge).  See photo below. 



As I neared the entrance of the Slough (West side), I checked out a large tree where I had seen a Night Heron in late August.  As I looked up, there it was.  Of course, I had to take a look to see what other shore birds I might see.  Near the reeds in the Slough, I spotted what might be a juvenile Black-Crowned Night Heron.

Black-Crowned Night Heron

Black-Crowned Night heron


Juvenile Night Heron









When I reached the town of Ocean Beach, I embarked on the hill.  I don't know how high I walked, but it was quite a climb.  After my uphill walk, I made my way down the local streets until I reached the Famosa Slough.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that I hadn't missed the bird migration.  Swimming near the front of the East side of the Slough, were two Western Grebes with strikingly long white necks.  I always hope to see a bird I haven't seen before, so this filled the bill, no pun intended.

Western Grebe


Western Grebes
A Bevy of Terns
I was happy to see killdeers but they were too far away to get a good photo  They have two stripes across their chests, giving the appearance that they are wearing sweaters.  Hearing an abrupt flutter,  I turned to see a flock of terns taking off.  In another part of the Eastern side of Famosa Slough (near West Point Loma Blvd.) I saw a group of Great Egrets and Snowy Egrets, as well as a Great Blue Heron.  An aloof Night Heron was posted on the incline above....like it was overseeing the group.  Except for a few Snowy Egrets, they were all getting along.  I've previously observed that Snowy Egrets are very territorial.   In the two years I've been visiting the Slough, this is the first time I've seen this many so close together.


Check out the wingspan
                                                                                                                 
                                                                                                               
Thus, I concluded my enjoyable three hour walk.
 


Please feel free to share a comment

Check out my other photos
                    


No comments:

Post a Comment