Saturday, October 30, 2010

Madame Brett Park

On October 24, my daughter and granddaughter, who live in Beacon, took me to Madame Brett Park, which is located along the Hudson River. The first thing they wanted to show me was the beautiful Tioranda Falls.

After carefully making our way towards the top of the falls (my daughter and grandaughter went all the way to the top), we took photos and carefully descended, working our way around the muddy trail. I almost fell in the mud, but my daughter grabbed my arm just in the nick of time. The pictures were worth it.

Then we proceeded across the parking lot to a wooden walkway along the Fishkill Creek, passing by the Tioranda Bridge, one of the last remaining bowstring truss bridges in the United States, now partially dismantled and unuseable.

The walkway was constructed along old abandoned buildings that had been the hat factory and the button factory in days gone by.
We followed the trail down towards tidal marshes along the Hudson River, returning by way of an upper pathway.
As we competed our walk, we met a woman, a young girl and a man standing on the walkway and fishing in the creek. I inquired about what fish they were catching. The woman told me that other fishermen had caught catfish.
This was a peaceful, relaxing and enjoyable walk, as well as informative. Beacon has much to offer a wanderer on a beautiful Fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment