Sunday, April 3, 2011

I'm Back in San Diego

This past winter has been quite eventful for me. I was a "Grandma/Nanny" for 10 weeks in New York City as my daughter settled on daycare for her baby. I watched my youngest granddaughter (3 months old) for four days a week, and then on Thursday nights (sometimes Friday morning) I became a commuter to Dutchess County on Metro North, returning to Queens on Sunday. I no sooner arrived in New York, when I found myself with a cold. Coupled with the nineteen (or so) winter storms, I think I bit off more than I could chew.

The baby, on the other hand, was an absolute joy. It was a privilege to watch her grow and emerge as a beautiful, alert little person. The weekends afforded me time with my other New York grandchildren also. Now that I'm back in San Diego, I do miss the New York family. They put up with me saying, "I'm not going outside." They raised their heat so I would be warm. They made sure that their sidewalks and driveways were properly salted so their grandma would not slip. Since all the children ski, it was most likely a stretch to understand their "hot-house" grandma.

As the weather improved toward Spring, I was able to see friends on the weekends. The ice and snow only served to remind me why I live in San Diego. It is my quest to be able to visit both coasts at will, just not New York in dead of the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment