Thursday, January 19, 2012

New York City

As I travelled from the Borough of Queens into New York City, the sky was a beautiful blue dotted with small clouds.  It was a picture perfect day.  Even though it was windy and cold, I decided to spend some time in the City instead of continuing on to Dutchess County. 
I walked north from Grand Central Terminal on 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue to 59th Street.  Then, I proceeded east to the 59th Street Bridge, now known as the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge.  I had to speak with three traffic police persons to find out how to get to the walkway across the bridge.  However, eventually I did find my way.  The walkway is shared with a bicycle path so I had to be careful as I entered.  I quickly found out why as the first bicyclist passed me.  He was travelling at quite a clip.  However, I enjoyed being on the bridge.  The walkway is marked so that walkers and bicyclists are separated, but I noticed that the bike riders didn't stick to their side.
As I climbed the walkway, I could see the Roosevelt Island Tram passing by. Someday, I'll check that out since the cost of the ride is the same as the New York Subway System.  When the sun hits this bridge, it is a beautiful sight. The bridge takes on a golden hue. I've tried numerous times to get a good picture, but have yet to do so.  Perhaps I will from the tram.

After that, I walked to 59th Street and Fifth Avenue to check out a flurry of bird activity.  From a distance of a few blocks, it seemed like a possibly good photo, but when I got there they weren't flying around.  Then, down Fifth Avenue to 42nd Street.  When I arrived at Grand Central Terminal, since it was such a beautiful day, I decided to take the subway to "Ground Zero", the World Trade Center.  I haven't been there in quite a while, so this was a great opportunity.  I had worked in the building with the green domed-roof on the left until late 1999 and remember walking the plaza underneath the World Trade Center, sometimes spending my lunch hours gazing at the tall towers.   You can read my thoughts about September 11th in a previous blog.  Yesterday, the area was bustling with activity and construction seemed to be coming along nicely.  A reservation is needed to see the 9/11 Museum so I have to plan that for another time.

  I noticed a tour group with a guide explaining the artwork on the side of a building near the site,  I intend to go back and take that walk, as well as visit the Museum. 
That was the end of my roaming the City streets. Although the day was briskly cold and windy, it was a day well spent.




No comments:

Post a Comment