Monday, November 11, 2013

Benefits of Volunteering


                                      

This past Saturday, I volunteered at the sign-in table for the "work clean-up party" at the Famosa Slough.  It gave me a great opportunity to take some photos of the birds.  The Snowy Egret I caught fishing for his lunch is a resident.  I noticed a long time ago that he seemed to stake out his territory.  I've seen him chase a Little Blue Heron and other Snowy Egrets.  I haven't seen him bothering ducks or cormorants.


I believe that the bird shown on the right below is a Long-billed Curlew.  There are a few birds that are very similar in size with up or downward turned bills, such as Short and Long-billed Dowitchers and a Marbled Godwit.  The large bird below is a Great Egret on its way to fish.  It seemed to be headed to an area already scoped out by an unidentified duck.









Please feel free to share a
comment

Check out my other photos

Check out The Book of Micah
(Now on Kindle and on the Nook) 

No comments:

Post a Comment