Monday, November 4, 2013

Wanderings


 On Friday, October 25, I went to Cabrillo National Monument.  I was hoping to see some migrating birds, but didn't.  I did see a few Painted Lady Butterflies near the top of the hill near the lighthouse.  Made my day!

                                                                                                                       
Painted Lady Butterfly
Cabrillo National Monument Lighthouse



Today, I was able to join a Girl Scout troop touring the Famosa Slough lead by the Chairman of the Friends of Famosa Slough.  I was enjoyable to see how much the girls enjoyed learning about the presence of fresh water just a few feet from the presence of salt water.  Binoculars were provided to enhance their experience.  The girls enjoyed zooming in on several species of ducks, a Snowy Egret, a Great Egret and three Black-crowned Night Herons.  The night herons are nocturnal birds.  I had posted photos of Juvenile Black-crowned Night Herons, but I've never seen an adult Black-crowned Night Heron out in the Slough.  Below are pictures of the three we saw this afternoon.  I consider the adults very elusive.  Previously I've only spotted them in a tree, surrounded by the leaves.

Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron

Adult Black-crowned Night Heron
Adult Black-crowned Night Heron


Please feel free to share a
comment

Check out my other photos

Check out The Book of Micah
(Now on Kindle and on the Nook) 


No comments:

Post a Comment