Monday, April 7, 2014

Butterfly Exhibit


Paper Kite
Common Blue Morpho and Giant Owl
This past Sunday, My two local daughters and my two San Diego grandchildren accompanied me to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.  On Friday, I had seen an advertisement for the Park's "Butterfly Jungle."   This was my first visit to the Safari Park.  The others had been there before.




A few years ago, I visited the "Butterfly House" at the Bronx Zoo in New York City and enjoyed taking photos of the butterflies.  I expected to be able to do the same thing yesterday.  While the Bronx Zoo's exhibit was certainly a great experience, the Safari Park Butterfly Jungle had many more butterflies. It reminded me of an evening in San Diego about six years ago, as I returned home from work. I rounded my apartment building to enter my residence and literally met a swarm of Monarch butterflies.  Of course, I had no camera that evening.

Postman

 
Since Sunday was the second day of the Safari Park's Butterfly Jungle, which seems to only be on exhibit from April 5 through April 27, it was very crowded.  We were practically shoulder to shoulder and seemingly immersed in butterflies that lit on peoples' hats, shoulders, and even my arm.  See photo below.  It stayed on my arm for at least five minutes, if not more. 

Giant owl




Orange Julia












I've labeled the photos with the name of the butterfly in instances where I could clearly identify them. 

If you are in the San Diego area, I definitely encourage you to visit the San Diego Zoo Safari Park's Butterfly Jungle.  I think that it would have been less crowded earlier or later in the day.  You can probably check with the Park to find this out.

Thanks to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park for this extraordinary experience.


Please feel free to share a comment
Check out my other photos

The Book of Micah (on Kindle and on the Nook) 
Perhaps  (on Kindle and on the Nook)



No comments:

Post a Comment