Friday, April 8, 2016

On the Go, My Restaurant Reviews

This past week, we had visitors from New York.  The first evening we went to the Old Town Mexican Cafe.  We had a half hour wait, but it didn't seem that long because the avenue was busy with diners and tourists. As you entered the restaurant, you could watch some women employees making fresh tacos.  I enjoyed the steak 'street tacos', which were a little smaller than the regular taco.  During dinner, we enjoyed Mariachi music.  Two guitarists went through the aisles playing requests.  I asked if they could sing "De Colores" and they did beautifully.  I recommend this restaurant for good food and great ambiance.

The next day we went to the San Diego Zoo, which is always a great experience.  We enjoyed our lunch at Sydney's Grille on the Zoo's property and then proceeded to view the koalas, which are always adorable.  About 100 feet away, there were two young giraffes and two very tall ones.  No matter how many times you look at them, you have to marvel at how tall they are. Then we walked back to the Skyride....a distance of about three city blocks.  After a short wait, we were on our way.  I always enjoy this ride because I can see everything in the zoo from that height.  Unfortunately, my camera stopped working when we were viewing the koalas.  It was very disappointing.

The next venue was the Ice Age 4D movie Theater.  It's very cute and not your typical movie.  The children really enjoyed it.  Our next choice was the Polar Bear.  Today there was only one visible and he was sleeping.  During other visits, we've seen the bear swimming and more active, but the day was cloudy and probably the bear was tired.  Who knows?  After this, we walked down a long hill to see the Pandas.  I saw a Red Panda for the first time.  When we reached the Pandas we are more familiar with, I was surprised at how large the young Panda had grown.  His mother was in one section and he was in the other.  The announcer stated that at two years of age, his Mom throws him out to fend for himself.  Later, we rode the Kangaroo Bus back toward the entrance.  Everybody enjoyed the zoo.

Also, you don't have to tour the zoo the way we did, because you get a map when you enter through the gates.  It gives you the opportunity to plan your day and ensure that everyone in your group gets to see their favorite animals.

That evening, my grandchildren, with the help of their aunt from NY, made homemade pizzas.  They did a great job.

The next afternoon as a visit to the R.H. Fleet Science Center.  I had been there a few months ago with my San Diego grandson and after six hours he still didn't want to leave.  So on this day with our visitors, we experienced the Taping Shape Exhibition.  Everyone had such a great time going through it that they insisted  I try it out.  The whole exhibition, made completely of clear packing tape, was suspended in air supported by a structure of steel pipes.  They walked through tunnels of tape and ended the experience with a 6 or 8 foot slide.  When I went through I had to told the walls for balance and then sit down and slide to the exit.  It was worth it just to see the delight on the faces of the rest of the family, who watched me come down.

Later that evening, we had dinner at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza in LaJolla.  My New York daughter and I shared a flat iron steak with fingerling potatoes.  Delish.  We finished our dinner with miniature donuts that were very tasty.  I love just a tidbit of sweetness after dinner.  Our waitress was excellent.  I certainly recommend this restaurant.

On Saturdays, minor league baseball practice is a commitment and takes precedence over anything else.  Because of that our ventures were scheduled for later in the day.  We took the trolley to downtown San Diego and walked to the Ferry to Coronado Island.  The ride probably takes about 10 minutes from the Broadway Pier to the Ferry Landing on the Island.  I always like a boat ride on the San Diego Bay.  After some Cold Stone ice cream and coffee, we toured some boutiques and an Art gallery.  Then back onto the ferry headed for the Broadway Pier.  Near the pier are the USS Midway Museum, a former aircraft carrier, and Seaport Village with restaurants and small shops.  Since it was late in the day, we skipped that area and went to dinner at Anthony's Fish Grotto on Harbor Drive.  This year they are celebrating their 70th year. The food was delicious.

 After Mass at Sacred Heart Church on Ocean Beach, we all joined together for Brunch at my City of San Diego daughter's house.  That afternoon we went to the Birch Aquarium in LaJolla overlooking the Pacific Ocean.  We had the opportunity to touch tide-pool animals and see a myriad of fish in the "Hall of Fish".   There were docents standing at the tide-pools to help the visitors and answer their questions.  The fish were identified so it was a great learning experience as well.  The other side of the building held exhibits of Seahorses and Sharks.  The most interesting to me were the Sea Horses.  Both adults and children enjoyed this afternoon chock full of information.  For the last meal of the day, we chose Rubio's on Mission Bay.  This, just like Anthony's Fish Grotto, was the original restaurant from 1983,  We completed our day with a walk on the beach where Pacific Beach meets Mission Beach.  A great day.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my blog.
Please feel free to share a comment

Perhaps by Catherine Hall (on Kindle and the Nook) 

The Book of Micah by Catherine Hall (on Kindle and the Nook) 

No comments:

Post a Comment