Sunday, March 7, 2010

Welcome to my first blog


I call myself a "bi-coastal grandma" because I have three children and their families on the East Coast and three children and their families on the West Coast.

After September 11, 2001, I left New York and moved to San Diego, CA. I enjoy the sunlight and while I miss my East Coast family, I don't miss the ice and snow. Retiring in the later part of 2007 enabled me to visit the East for longer periods of time. I've been so blessed to have sons-in-law who don't mind the really long stays. During the last storm that left 2 to 3 feet of snow in Dutchess County, NY, as I was comfy and warm in San Diego, I kept close watch over the Internet. It amazed me that I could speak with my daughter in Beacon via cell phone and read her the Poughkeepsie Journal on-line and tell her the condition of her town since she had no electricity for four days.

Since retiring, I've made it a practice to take long walks, which opened up a whole new world to me. Here in San Diego, I walk through Balboa Park with its beautiful plants and museums. Each Tuesday the admission to one or more of the museums is free to residents. It's a very beautiful park and worth the visit. Last year, I walked along the beach and will start again soon. As I walk, I take photos of what I find interesting.

When visiting New York, I usually attempt to walk a lot, taking many pictures. This past Christmas I found just too cold so I hibernated in my daughters houses. Walking the Beacon-Newburgh Bridge is quite an experience. Hyde Park has seven nature trails. I'll write about those experiences another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment