Thursday, January 6, 2011

Beautiful Snow-capped Mountains


During the first week in January, I made two trips to Corona, CA near Riverside (about 50 miles west of Los Angeles). I was so taken with the snow-capped San Bernardino Mountains, I had to take some photos. I just couldn't get a great one. The best views were always while driving where there wasn't a place to legally pull over to the side of the road.

On New Year's Day, we traveled to the Los Angeles area. My son and daughter-in-law took us to a Korean BBQ restaurant, Shilla, in Gardena, CA. I enjoyed the experience. The barbecue was within the table near the end. The waitress came every so often to turn the meat. My daughter-in-law chose the dishes for us. Along with the beef and pork, we enjoyed soup, salad, rice, and some small side dishes. Since this was the first time for me, I sampled a little from each dish. I don't remember the names, except the kelp and sardines. The sardines were too dry for me, but I did like the kelp. Also, as my granddaughter nimbly used her chopsticks, I made a concerted yet feeble attempt....maybe next time. The meal was leisurely, and as I said before, was enjoyable.

Yesterday, we joined them again for dinner at Benihana's in Torrence, CA to celebrate my daughter-in-law's birthday. We all enjoyed watching the chef perform some tricks as he deftly prepared our meal, which was delicious. Again, I had the opportunity to use chopsticks. The restaurant supplied specially constructed chopsticks for children. So, my daughter-in-law requested extra ones for adult guests who needed them. I managed to eat the fried rice without dropping too much as well as dip the shrimp and chicken in the sauces. I enjoyed the chicken and shrimp and had a taste of the green tea ice cream. It was interesting, but my old favorite, chocolate, was my choice. It was so nice to join the family in their celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment