Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Corvette Diner

On Sunday, my friend, Marge, took my daughter, her young children and myself to San Diego’s Corvette Diner for lunch. Actually, it’s much more than lunch. It is a trip back to the 50’s. With the music, décor and personnel endeavoring to show you a good time, it is a great reminder of the “way it was.” The children really enjoyed the dancing waitresses, balloon characters made to their specifications, and, of course, the good food.

The menu brings back memories as well. I had “the Big Cheez” (grilled cheese on sourdough garlic toast with tomato)….delicious, although I ordered it without the tomato. It reminded me of when I started working in New York City at age 15. I went to a sandwich shop daily with some co-workers where this sandwich with the tomato was my lunch of choice when I didn't order a hamburger. I always ordered a chocolate Egg Cream, which I also did on Sunday. Corvette’s offers many items with interesting names, such as hamburger dishes called the “Brenda”, “Rory” and “Dee Dee” and “Hubcap Sliders” (mini-hamburgers).

Of course, no meal would be complete without a little ice cream, or a big Banana Split, which some of us enjoyed immensely.

I definitely recommend the Corvette Diner for a great fun experience as well as good food. It is a great way to take a trip down memory lane.

Thanks to Marge for a truly enjoyable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment