Friday, February 15, 2013

The Palette

Last evening, in celebration of Valentine's Day, my daughter took the grandchildren and me to The Palette, which is a true fine dining experience, located within The International Cooking School at The Art Institute of California at San Diego.   It is totally run by students in the last phase of their culinary education.

We started the meal with The Little Gem Lettuce Salad made of poached pear, blue cheese, candied pine nuts, with White Balsamic.  This was a culinary treat and was very enjoyable.  The blue cheese was excellent.  My daughter and I ordered the Apple Sausage Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with roasted Brussel Sprouts and mashed potatoes.  My granddaughter chose the Porcini Braised Beef Short Ribs with Polenta and winter vegetables.  My six-year old grandson wanted the Parpadelle Pasta with Pistachio Mint Pesto.  The offering for this dish was presented on the menu as Spicy Lamb Bolognese.  However, he only wanted the pasta with sauce on the side.  He ate the pasta without the sauce and was happy with it.

Our meals were very delicious. The servings were very generous.  My granddaughter offered tastes of her Short Ribs and we decided that was the best.  Following dinner, my grandson asked, "Are we going to have dessert?"  When a server brought the Dessert Menu, we had to choose.  We didn't feel we had room, but who passes up such delicious sounding desserts?  We settled on sharing two desserts....a dark chocolate cake with a raspberry and candied fruit (served with a small mound of vanilla sorbet) and a trio of sorbets (melon, passion fruit and lemon).   My grandson chose the melon and my granddaughter, the lemon.  I literally had one teaspoon of each dessert.  The chocolate cake was literally "to die for."  It seems anti-climatic to say that the coffee was great, but it was.

The evening was very enjoyable even though Daddy could not be with us.  He was busy instructing future chefs.  The atmosphere with low level music in the background was perfect.  I would definitely encourage going to this restaurant.


Please feel free to share a comment

Check out my other photos

No comments:

Post a Comment